What are termites?
Termites are small social insects that are known for their tunneling activities through wood and the social structures in their colonies. Termites are divided into worker, reproductive, and social castes, and termite colonies are either found underground or above ground as they tunnel through discarded wood or the wood in human structures. There are many different termite species, but subterranean termites are one of the most common and destructive.
Termites grow around half an inch in length, are light brown or tan in color, and have a strong pair of jaws. Reproductive, also known as ‘swarmer’ termites, generally have wings and may be seen flying around your property.
Are termites dangerous?
While termites don’t spread disease or bite humans, they are dangerous pests to host around your property. Termites are constantly tunneling and their strong jaws chew away at the wood supporting your walls or foundation. Over time, termite damage leads to the serious risk of structural collapse and expensive repairs.
Some of the first signs of termites you need to keep an eye out for include termite frass, shed termite wings, windows or doors that start becoming tight-fitting, and wood that appears damaged or breaks away easily.
Why do I have a termite problem?
Termite problems tend to occur on properties that have plenty of the factors that attract this pest, such as water-damaged wood, plenty of wooden debris and wood piles outdoors, and cracks or gaps that allow termites to invade interior areas. Removing and reducing access to these factors helps stop infestations from taking place.
Where will I find termites?
Termites are usually in their colonies underground or tunneling through the wood of your property. These pests tend to invade the spaces between walls, foundations, furniture, basements, and attic areas to chew on wooden structures and expand colonies.
How do I get rid of termites?
Getting rid of termites may seem like a daunting task, especially if you aren't sure where to start. Instead of wasting your time on hit-or-miss DIY termite control methods, contact Dependable Pest Solutions. Our Dover pest management professionals know what to look for when it comes to diagnosing termite problems, and we'll provide you with an effective solution that eliminates all traces of these pests.
Contact us today for a free estimate.
How can I prevent termites in the future?
Stop termites from invading your property in the future by putting these easy prevention tips into place:
- Clear outdoor areas of debris piles, fallen tree branches, and tree stumps or woodpiles, as all of these items tend to attract termites looking to form colonies.
- Trim back long grass and overgrown foliage to make it harder for termites to hide around outdoor areas.
- Seal cracks around the foundation, windows, and doors of your property to keep termites firmly outside.
- Reduce soil-to-wood contact around the foundation of your property, as this makes it harder for termites to infiltrate interior areas.
- Utilize window and door screens to keep swarming termites outside.
- Repair and replace any damaged or moisture-ridden wood around your property; termites, especially subterranean termites, find it easier to infiltrate softer woods.
Contact Dependable Pest Solutions right away if you see signs of termites on your property or need further advice on preventing termite invasions.
"I would highly recommend Dependable Pest Solutions. We’ve had issues with ants on our vacation property. They come right out and take care of the problem. Their communication and follow up Is great. We now have them treat our property regularly as a preventive measure"